This article discusses my top 20 website niches to make money online. If you’re thinking about starting a website of your own, I think that’s a great idea. The Internet has created plenty of opportunities to build an online income. The secret to success to making money online is to pick a medium to high demand, yet low competition niche, and then dominate that niche. In other words, you need a find a decent sized, in demand niche, and become the “big dog” in that niche.
There are literally thousands of sub-niches that aren’t very competitive and offer plenty of opportunity to make a good income online with your own niche website. Your key to success is to pick a small sub-niche within a big niche. What I want to do below is share my top 20 website niches, listed in no particular order. I will provide a few examples of sub-niches within each niche.
1) Sex – This might just be the most popular subject here on planet earth. Potential ideas for a niche website might include “how to get more sex” or “how to have better sex” or “how to pick up girls” or “safe sex.” The sky really is the limit. Just make sure you really target this one to something narrow and specific, or you will have a hard time getting noticed.
2) Religion – I’ve been told that 4 out of every 5 people are religious, to some degree. That means there is a MASS appeal for religion oriented sites. Some example sub-niches might be “how to change religions” or “marriages with people from different religions” or “how to convert to a certain religion” or “how to raise a religious family.” I’d bet there are several hundred sub-niches within this niche if you took the time to brainstorm and research.
3) Health – Everyone wants to be healthy and most people are not healthy. Some example sub-niches might be “natural health” or “health for people over age 60″ or “health for African Americans” or “health tips.” This is another big niche with lots of sub-niches.
4) Physical Fitness – Here are some example sub-niches within the physical fitness niche: “military physical fitness” or “physical fitness for kids with special needs” or “physical fitness for busy people.”
5) Weight Loss – Some examples include “natural weight loss” or “holistic weight loss” or a comparison site of different weight loss programs.
6) Small Business – This is a really big and competitive niche, but there are many opportunities for a niche website on something really targeted. Some examples might include “challenges for small business owners” or “reasons businesses fail” or “interviews with small business owners.”
7) Online Marketing – Most businesses want to know how to promote their business online so some good sub-niches might include “secret online marketing strategies” or “low cost online marketing strategies” or “how to pick the best online marketing strategy.”
8) Make Money Online – Everyone and their brother wants to make money online. You could talk about “challenges of making money online” or “best ways to make money online” or “non-conventional ways to make money online” or “interviews with people who make money online.”
9) Blogging – Blogging is extremely popular. You could choose a website niche such as “how to start a blog” or “how to monetize a blog” or “how to market a blog” or “how to set up a blog” or “how to do SEO with your blog.”
10) Relationships – Most people want to improve their relationships with other people. Here are some sample website niches within the relationship world: “how to make new friends” or “how to fix troubled relationships” or “how to survive long distance relationships.”
11) Real Estate – This one is a big daddy. I think the best sub-niches for a website would be “real estate in a specific town” or “real estate trends” or “buying and selling antique houses” or “how to make money in real estate.”
12) Investing – Once again, most people want to learn more about investing so they can plan for their retirement. Some example sub-niche investing ideas might be “how to invest in your 20’s” or “mistakes of new investors” or “how to find a good investor to work with” or “non-conventional investing ideas.”
13) Planning for Retirement – This is another great niche with BIG potential. Some ideas include “planning for retirement in your 60s” or “places to live in retirement” or “friendly retirement cities” or “creative ways to live cheap in your retirement.”
14) Picking a College – A big percentage of high school grads go to college, and many of them have no idea about how to do it. A few good sub-niches include “how to pick a college you can afford” or “how to find a good out of state college” or “best colleges for musicians.” Any of those niches would work.
15) Book Reviews – Amazon is the big daddy of book reviews, but I know you could do well with a niche website such as “business book reviews” or “erotica book reviews” or “antique book reviews” or you could do a site with nothing but video reviews of books.
17) Family Life – Once again, everyone I know has a family. If you know anything about starting a family, keeping a family together during tough time, having a long-distance family, or any other sub-niche, that would make a great niche website.
18) Money – Who doesn’t want more money? If you know a thing or two about saving money, making more money, investing money, or any other sub-niche within the “big money” niche, there is plenty of opportunity. This niche is pretty competitive, but if you can get noticed, you will do well.
19) Divorce – From what I’ve read online, nearly 1 in every 2 marriages fail, and second marriages fail at an even higher rate. People search the internet every day for terms like “how to get divorced” or “how to survive a divorce” or “how to find a divorce lawyer.” Any of these sub-niches could be turned into a profitable and popular niche website.
20) Happiness – Many people search to find happiness their entire life. If you are a happy person, or know a thing or two about happiness, this would make a wonderful niche to pursue.
Once again, these are only my personal recommendations. Within each one of these ideas, there are hundreds of smaller niches. I think it’s important to pick a small, specific niche because there is less competition.
For instance, if you pick weight-loss, you will find that there are LOTS of people with websites around that theme. In fact, there are millions of different weight loss blogs and websites. That means your odds of dominating that niche and becoming a leading website in that arena is practically impossible. But, if you pick a smaller niche within the weight loss category, such as “natural weight loss, herbal weight loss, or weight loss surgery” you will do much better.
I hope this makes sense to you. Thanks for reading my top 20 website niches. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject. Please leave comment to tell us what niche you specialize in, or what niche you think presents the best opportunity to make money online!